In the field of medicine, we spend years learning and training in order to provide the best care to our patients. We focus on treating their physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being. As providers we recognize and stress the importance of self-care to our patients, yet often fail to heed our own advice placing the provider at greater risk for burnout. Burnout, which is the state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolong stress has been shown to affect job performance, patient care, professional satisfaction, interpersonal relationships and the overall physical and mental well-being of a medical resident.
Our mission at Memorial Hospital at Gulfport Graduate Medical Education is to ensure our residents are provided with education, skills, techniques, and resources that will help build, support and implement their own healthy lifestyle and self-care practices throughout their training and professional careers. We have created a resident wellness program which encompasses physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual components specifically to help residents by encouraging and promoting a healthy lifestyle and work-life balance. Our program includes tools and support to assist residents in:
- Maintaining their compassion for others and self
- Maintaining their sense of purpose, meaning, and professional fulfillment and joy of practice
- Developing resiliency skills, and
- Maintaining and developing healthy living and self-care habits
Additionally, we will be providing workshops, lectures, and tools to assist residents with achieving personal fulfillment, time management, financial planning, meeting their personal needs and professional obligations, getting enough sleep, and stress management. Our GME leadership, faculty, and staff are fully committed to resident well-being. Between meeting with your faculty mentors, your daily interactions with attendings, and regular check-ins from our wellness staff, you will be in good hands at Memorial Hospital at Gulfport.
Some highlights of our wellness program:
- Organized social events for residents and their families
- Bi-weekly self-screening
- Quarterly one-on-one check-ins with our wellness counselor
- Monthly resident group meeting to help navigate challenges of residency and patient care
- Full access to all benefits within our Employee Assistance Program